Time for a Little Spring Cleaning

It had been FAR too long since any real work was done in what we call the Barrier Garden.  This bed is mostly daylilies with a few different trees/shrubs mixed in and a bunch of iris.  It got sacrificed last summer when the Plant Geek was laid up with a bad back and I kept the garden watered and parts of it weeded, but some things had to wait for later.  Later finally came this past weekend.


Here's a nice after photo showing a lack of weeds and a lot of pruning

As you can see below, things had definitely gotten out of hand.  The loquats grew a ton last year, making it almost impossible to navigate the stepping stones we put in place.  The abelias have done their thing and become a mass of random canes lolling about the garden.  There was a strange vine weed that was covered with spines that had moved into one end of the garden and set up shop.  Finally can we talk about all of the weeds that are literally covering up the daylilies.  There were a few that you could't even see in there due to all of the mess.




Here's another view of the jungle like before pictures.  Please take note of the spiney weeds spilling out of the little fence.  I'll admit, I refused to deal with them.




After a few hours of work in the morning (thank goodness the toddler is getting better at keeping herself entertained outside) and some hard and fast work during nap time, we got it all cleared out.  It doesn't appear that we actually lost any plants, which really highlights the hardiness of the daylily.




I'm not going to lie, it was great to get outside and do some work as a family...well two of us worked, one played in her sand box, blew bubbles, and desperately tried to get our dogs to play fetch.  Next weekend will be another big one, we clean-up the tropical garden, assuming the weather cooperates.

How is your spring clean-up going?

Comments

  1. You sure did a lot of work and the results are stunning! My clean up is going slowly as I seem to lack motivation at the moment. Fortunately, the garden is fairly forgiving of my slothful moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is too. We just had a VERY slothful last year. We like to try and get one good cleaning and mulching taken care of before everything gets growing too much. We didn't even finish that last year.

      Delete
  2. I have basically just started my spring cleanup. I really should have started in January when our weather was so nice, but I was sick and felt like crap. Then February turned unseasonably cold and we got snow, so I couldn't do much then either. Daylilies are such great plants! I have lots that just keep going too, no matter how much you abuse them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the best things about them and makes them so versatile. Its fun to have those plants that are picky and need a lot of care, but a whole garden of those would make me crazy.

      Delete
  3. Excellent work there, and wonderful to do it together as a family! Loquats are exuberant growers. Are yours the fruiting version?

    Clean up mostly done here (one stump to finish removing).

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours are fruiting. We will see how that progresses...we have a lot of squirrels and not always a lot of luck when it comes to their eating habits. Have you ever eaten any?

      Delete
  4. Great progress and the best way to celebrate the beginning of spring. Since weather is seldom a major impediment here, clean-up activity is near continuous, although I did finish all my major pruning and ornamental grass trimming between our winter rainstorms. Now, my main focus is cleaning up after nightly raccoon rampages and deadheading. Oh, and there's the ever-present issue of when I'm going to seriously tackle all the dead ivy on my back slope (unless I break down and hire sherpas to do it for me...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It honestly isn't too bad in the winter here and we could totally start cleaning up earlier. We like to leave some stuff standing for the lizards and anoles to hibernate in each winter, but that isn't an excuse everywhere in our garden.

      Delete
  5. Looks gorgeous! I remember those times of trying to work with a toddler. It was this amazing day when I realized he was getting better at entertaining himself! Your loquats look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so freeing this year all ready. She's always been pretty good inside, but this year has been a turning point outside.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts