Garden Bloggers Bloom Day: October 2018

This Bloom Day seems to have snuck up on me.  Luckily I set a calendar reminder in my phone, but then ended up with a stomach bug yesterday when I planned to write it all up.  So, here is an abbreviated Garden Bloggers Bloom Day post for our garden.


Not surprisingly the rain lilies are still putting up blooms and seed heads.  We've had A LOT of rain this month.





Like always, the pollinator garden is looking good.  Well actually the milkweed is looking chewed on, I counted 19 monarch caterpillars on Saturday.  Those were just the big ones that were easy to see, who knows if there are others.







Even the homeless plants on the bench are putting on a little bit of a show.  





The barrier garden looks so weedy I would be embarrassed to have any of you over to my garden, but there are a few blooms that are out (and fortunately above the weedy mess below).





This black and blue saliva is doing really well after it got broken due to a toddler fall.  I guess planting them in pots next to the step our daughter uses to see the turtles and tortoises wasn't the best idea.  Next year I may go with something a little less brittle, or maybe she'll be more stable and less likely to just topple over.  We'll see which way we go.



A few from around the pool's tropical garden:


Flowering Ginger



A few beauties in the blue pots n the shade garden:





Thanks for joining me for my October Garden Bloggers Bloom Day post.  If you want to see more gardens from all over, go on over to May Dreams Garden.   You will find gardens from all over the world!

Comments

  1. A lot of beauty in your garden! Love the bright yellow near the pool.
    Is that Mimulus 'Monkey Faces' in the blue pot? Mine did not do well this year - yours look great!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are archimenes. The colors are a little off in that picture.

      Delete
  2. You have a really nice collection of blooms in your fall garden. Your black and blue salvia reminds me that I lost mine over last winter and I need to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love salvias. Black and blue is a favorite of mine.

      Delete
  3. You do have a lot blooming now. I hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it was short illness. I was back at work Monday and back to normal Tuesday.

      Delete
  4. That seems like an amazing number of caterpillars! I keep planting more and more "butterfly" magnet plants in my Butterfly Garden, but it isn't popular. A swallowtail flew by one day. I love how your pollinator garden is situated. Do you have a list on your blog of what you planted in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think I should make up a list of what we've planted, but I have never gotten around it it. That should be a winter project. This is our pollinator garden's third year, so keep trying. the first year was a bust and last year I was excited about 4-6 caterpillars. Things kind of exploded this year.

      Delete
  5. I love the little dog face that snuck into the beautiful Canna flower photo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Scout. He likes to be part of the action.

      Delete
  6. Hope your stomach bug flies away soon! October is blooming beautiful in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have so many beautiful plants, I'm not surprised the butterflies like to stop in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Now I just need to work on diversity of butterflies. Clearly I have the monarchs taken care of.

      Delete
  8. Hope that stomach bug flies away soon! Lots of beauty going on in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do so well with tropical plants, Rebecca! I hope the stomach bug is over and done with soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment surprised me because I don't think about myself that way, but we do have a lot of great tropical. It's a newer thing sine I've moved to Texas. While I love the "Texas Style" of garden, I really love a crazy tangled up mess of plants and tropical definitely do that.

      Delete
  10. Those Lanatanas are MASSIVE, at least by our standards. Love the flowering ginger, wish I could give it a sniff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can practically become shrubs here. Often perennialize, but most people treat them as annuals. We do both depending on where they are planted. These will be cut back to the ground and allowed to come back if the survive the winter.

      Delete
  11. I love all the tropical-looking flowers! My entire garden is such a mess I would be embarrassed to have people over :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rebecca, thank you for your comment on my blog. I can't believe all the wonderful plants you are able to grow in Texas, which I always associated with dry weather. Most of them would not survive my climate, so it's nice to enjoy them here! I'm going to poke around your garden rooms. The ruins sound interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to it's large size, Texas has all sort of climates. We live in a rather temperate area that gets pretty good rainfall (though right now we are being inundated with rain). The hardest part of gardening here n DFW is how hot our summer nights are. We simply don't cool off at night. But overall, we are lucky and can grow a lot.

      Delete
  13. Your garden is truly amazing with all its beautiful tropical plants and I love the capture of the bee in the flower. Thank you for the wonderful tour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome photos! I love your garden. I don't miss snow (I grew up in Chicago area) but it does make gorgeous images.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts