Bloom Progression


One of the yuccas in the pollinator garden decided to bloom this summer.  It's like they knew that they are actually slated for a transfer to another spot in the garden and wanted to get in their last hooray prior to their relocation. Originally this bed was going to have sort of a Texas style cottage garden look.   The two yuccas we planted have grown rather large rather quickly.  Now their spiky leaves are reaching out into the walkway stabbing passersby.




The Yucca in Question on August 28th.



Here's a glimpse of what they looked like last July.  They have probably doubled in size since then and this bed is now a messy looking pollinator garden rather than the Texas style cottage we originally thought about doing.




As I was pulling of the driveway on the 17th or 18th of this month I noticed a bloom spike emerging from one of the nice but improperly placed yuccas.  A few days later I got a chance to snap a picture.  


Here it is on the August 20th.




You can already see a lot of change on August 21st.  





August 25th: Blooms are starting to show themselves.




August 26th:  A different view and few blooms have started to open.




August 27th: Looking great in the morning sun as we head off to daycare and work!



By the end of the day on the 27th it was looking great with lots of blooms.



Sadly, they don't tend to last too long and will probably be bloomed out far too quickly.  I plan to enjoy it while it lasts, then we need to find it a new home.





Comments

  1. The blooms are both elegant and beautiful. None of my own Yuccas have deigned to bloom - and my 3 Yucca 'Bright Star' have been in the ground since January 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they magnificent! They bloom in June around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful yucca, Rebecca. Thanks for sharing, I've never seen it in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty blooms. When you get stabbed by a plant, it's just saying it loves you. Sometimes love hurts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That yucca looks great in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked how you took pictures showing the progress. My yucca bloomed for the first time ever this spring and I missed it until it was a bit past prime. I was working and not expecting anything so I was shocked when I saw it from the driveway. Maybe next year some of the others will bloom, don't know since they are all in deep shade. I am glad I got to watch yours bloom.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts