Leaf Stack Challenge

Misti at Oceanic Wilderness convinced me to join Instagram toward the end of the summer.  It was a great choice, I love being able to share my photographs and looks at other gardeners.  If you aren't familiar with the way thins work there, posts get tagged with hatchtags or the number sign if you are older like me.  You can follow individuals and see everything they post, but you can also follow specific hatchtags.  I follow a few and one that I recently have really been loving is the Leaf Stack Challenge.

It reminds we to the job I had in New York where we got to make living two sculptures with New York teens...also known as sod sofas.  You can find out more at Cornell's living sculpture page.  They also have an entire horticulture class that focuses on art in horticulture.  One of my coworkers would also make ephemeral art using natural materials.  The pictures using this hatchtag reminded me of the things she would make.

Tapioca with assorted coleus leaves

So the other morning before work/daycare my daughter and I had a little time after we fed the turtles/tortoises, so we decided to give it a try.  I wasn't sure how it would go.




We walked around picking leaves and laying them out, and then picking more from other parts of the garden.  She didn't quite get the idea of getting the entire leaf every time, but she happily went around with me selecting "just the right leaf" and adding it to our small collection of materials.  We came up with three designs in total.  I won't tell you who made which.  We used fig, tapioca, sweet potato and coleus leaves with some magnolia pods.




I didn't get a good picture of the third one, but it is a magnolia, sweet potato, and coleus leaf with a magnolia pod, but the other two are below.


Tapioca and assorted coleus

Fig with sweet potato and a magnolia pod

We had plans to make some more over the weekend, but the weather thwarted those plans.  The little bit of nice weather was taken up with our annual trip to see the pumpkins at the Dallas Arboretum.  If it ever stops raining we may try to make some more.  Our daughter enjoys finding treasures, so this type of thing is right up her ally.




Comments

  1. These are really cool and a fun thing to do with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm just hoping she doesn't think we pick leaves off of everything going forward.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea and your results. I'm glad the little one joined in. I hope you're clear of the flooding plaguing parts of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We aren't dry by any stretch of the imagination, but we aren't flooded either. Most of the really bad flooding is in the Hill Country. We're have more localized problems.

      Delete
  3. What fun, they’re all quite striking. I do love Instagram, but have yet to follow any hashtags, I just follow people. Guess I’ve got some learning to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly stumbled upon that accidentally and use it to see pop-up camper posts without having to see everything people post.

      Delete
  4. Love them! And yes, Instagram is kind of addictive! I follow far too many people on my podcast page. I can't keep up. ;) There are some people who do some amazing mandalas with wild items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea and will have to try it once the leaves come down! I had heard something about a leaf stack challenge and wasn't sure what it meant. The Tapioca and assorted coleus is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts