In A Vase Monday: Colocasia 'Diamond Head'


For the last week we have been having cooler weather.  Not being one to waste an opportunity, we've gottent a lot of work done in the garden.  One of today's projects was beating back the tropical garden so we can walk along the pathway that goes through the back side.  Lots of weed were pulled and a bunch of banana and elephant ears we cut back.  this Diamond Head Colocasia was too nice to not try to save.


Yes it really is that big...over a foot wide and about 18 inches long.  It's a little larger than the usual arrangements we have in our house, so it needed to be kept up on the window sill, hopefully away from our cat's mouth.  He LOVE to bit plants (he only eats certain plants, but will bite on all of them...like even cactus).



The sunlight looked really nice coming through it.  You can see all of the leaf's veins and color variations, though you do lose it's dark color.


As it sat in the water, the water started to get darker and darker, sort of like a weird Colocasia tea.  This is what it looked like by dinner time.


The poor leaf has also rapidly started wilting.  I don't expect there to anything left to save by tomorrow.  It was an interesting experiment, but clearly not something I'll probably repeat in the future.  I wish I would have gotten at least a full day out of it.


My second little arrangements is made up of trimming from the Pollinator/Butterfly Garden.  It needed a little taming too and these little blooms were saved from the compost.  It's up on a shelf that our kitty can't reach...he nibbles on flowers too.

Want to see other's arrangements?  Visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden who hosts In a Vase on Monday meme.

Comments

  1. I grew Colocasia in my old garden, at a time when water was less of an issue here. Every time I see those beautiful leaves I'm tempted to try growing some again. As to your cat, he's less discriminating it seems than mine - she's pretty hung up on just whatever is sitting on my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy! I've never heard of anything like that, but then again I've never grown Colocasia although it's a wonderful plant. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried them as a cut flower before either. Clearly there is a reason why.

      Delete
  3. I also tried cutting my huge black elephant ear plant and using the stems in a vase…mine also turned the water dark and shriveled up😩. I can’t find anything about how to make them work in a vase.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts