The Best Tomatoes I've Ever Grown (in Texas)




I used to try and grow tomatoes.  Every year I would set out my plants and things would be going along, plants would grow, flowers would bloom, fruit would form and eventually ripen, and then every year without fail, my tomatoes would get a case of spider mites and decline to the point where it seemed more humane to yank them out of the planters and add them to the compost pile.






I tried lots of things to keep them going and some years I would manage to nurse a few along through the hot summer and into fall. (INSERT LINK)  After last summer’s tomato carnage, we re-purposed the vegetable garden planters.  Then this happened…a volunteer in my washing machine planter.  It has a few strawberry plants in it, and apparently last year a Supper Sweet 100 tomato ended up there.






The plan was to let it grow until the inevitable happened.  It hasn’t happened yet.  This volunteer is out growing my other attempts.





Now since it was a volunteer, it got kind of a late start.  The flowers and fruits are a little behind the normal schedule.  Maybe that’s been it’s saving grace.  I wasn’t a gigantic plant that rivaled Jack’s beanstalk when the true heat of summer arrived.  Or maybe it’s been all of the rain we’ve had the last few weeks.
  



Hopefully we will get to enjoy tomatoes for weeks to come, maybe well into July.  Eventually the heat will cause the tomato to stop fruiting.  If it’s still looking this good, I may try to nurse it along until it cools off in the fall.  





Regardless, it’s the best tomato plant we’ve grown in a l-o-n-g time. 


Comments

  1. Thanks for visiting my corner of Katy, Rebecca! I've had that volunteer tomato experience ... hope you're enjoying yours. Stay cool and comfy there in Austin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually further north in the DFW area, but the heat has arrived here too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for visiting Jayne's Country Garden, Rebecca. We got one crop out of our Roma tomato this year before the plant shriveled in the heat. I hope you continue to enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my tomatoes seem to be going to our box turtles and my daughter. I'm going to have to lay claim to a few for myself.

      Delete
  3. So cool that your volunteer tomato is the best ever! Because I've run out of space outside, I grow tomatoes in my greenhouse and constantly battle with spider mites and whitefly so I empathize with your agony of defeat and thrill of victory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, everything is still okay...fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. I love a garden success story. It gives me hope and helps me not feel alone. Tomatoes I can grow, squash, no way. My curse is the wretched squash vine borer, alas. Nothing works.

    Congratulations and don't forget to save some of the seeds from your magic tomato plant.

    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts