Damien's New Digs


This guy recently got a new home.  He had been living with Cinnamon and Crunch, two three toed box turtle males.  Males turtles can live together, but there can be bullying.  Extra space, hiding places, and multiple feeding/watering stations all can help this.  These three guys had been doing fine together, but I noticed this spring that Damien seemed to have scrapped his little turtle arm-pit (for lack of better phrasing).  I think he did it on the cinder blocks we have surrounding the perimeter of their enclosure.  He loves to stand on them and sort of falls off when he wants to get down.




I figured it was time to make him his own enclosure separate from the three-toed guys.  I had plans to do one this summer at some point anyway.  As luck would have it a large greens fan was being thrown away at the Plant Geeks work.  He got the guys at the shop to cut out the guts for me and I had an instant enclosure without any cinder blocks.




It's about 36 inches tall and more than that in diameter.  Overall this is a pretty good size for a single guy.  It even has a weird triangle shaped bracket on the side that makes a good step for the Garden Apprentice and the perfect place to bash ones shin if you're an adult. (So far so good and my shines are intact.  I think I positioned it well)


In the shade of the fig tree, the metal doesn't get too hot and with some plant material and added soil it would be prefect.



So off to the compost pile I went with the wheel barrow and a shovel.  Six loads of compost, a lot of very healthy active worms, and an impromptu turtle snacking session latter...and we were ready to plant (and shower).



.




Last year I picked up a munch of discounted spireas at the big box garden store.  They are perfect for the turtles and tortoises, because they are edible.  This really is a bigger deal for the tortoises, but since there will probably be some musical chairs over time, it's good to make all the plantings safe for everyone.  I use the straw for a few things.  In the winter, it insulates the ground while everyone hibernates.  In the summer, it provides a shady place to hide and fills up with different insects and decomposers that make for good eating if you are a turtle.




Here is the new finished look.  So far he's ignore the hide and spent all his time in the straw (as have all the turtles).  Can't wait to see how he does over time in his new space.




Comments

  1. Damien's a handsome fellow. I hope he enjoys his fancy new digs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts