An open letter to my local monarch butterfly...


Dear Monarch butterfly,

Why do you enjoy torturing me?  I regularly see you sitting on flowers in my garden, but as soon as I prepare to take your picture you fly away never to land on another plant again.  Okay I assume you actually just wait till I lose interest and then land on something, but either way I'm not particularly happy.

Yesterday, I went outside to check on the turtles and I saw you sitting on a lovely zinnia flower.  I was like this would be perfect.  As I reached for my phone from 10 feet away, you were off.  After a dramatic swoop over the pool you headed to who knows where.

Even my toddler has realized that I want to take your picture.  She see you and asks every time if we should go and try to take a picture of you.  I've even convinced her not to chase you anymore and she now calls you by the correct name and is a big fan of Lucas Miller's Monarch Migration Song.  It's in heavy rotation in the car.  She's a big fan of yours too.

So seriously, can't you just sit on a flower for like 15 more seconds.  That's all I ask, I'll plant you all the milkweed and other flowers you want if you would just sit still-ish for a little longer.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

A Frustrated Phortographer


One of last years "compliant" butterflies

Comments

  1. At least you are getting monarchs already! They are rather flighty, aren't they! I've found if I sit in an area for awhile and don't move much they will come back eventually.

    And that monarch song is great, I'll have to play it for Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so frustrating that wildlife won't pose nicely for photographs. And just try telling them to move this way or that to catch the best light. They totally ignore direction, prima donas that they are. Oh well, at least last year you had some compliant butterflies. Thanks for the link to the fun song. I'll use it with my students when we get caterpillars in the spring and watch them turn into butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should post a copy of your letter in my garden - and add a codicil entreating the hummingbirds to be similarly accommodating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they are tough to photograph! I've gotten my best shots purely by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice picture.
    I love butterflies.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found the best approach is to sit quietly on a lawn chair near their favorite plants. A zoon lens can also help.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts