Cleanup, cleanup, everybody cleanup


A quick trip to the store to look for an outdoor clock and some shelving brackets resulted in these being purchased instead.  Two new terrarium.  At least that's what we use them for.  I've also seen them as part of a candy buffet set-up.  We don't really need a candy buffet, at least on a day to day basis.




Even though I didn't have any plants to fill them with today, I thought I should figure out how to fit them in with the others.  I likely won't get plants for a few weeks since the best store is all the way in north-ish Dallas.  It's better to store these kinds of things where they will be permanently and where they will stay safe.

This lead to me objectively looking at my collection and assessing how overgrown they were and how dirty the shelf was.  So everything came off, shelf got wiped down, and terrariums were all opened and cleaned up.  It needs to happen about twice a year (the shelf cleaning part happened more often I promise).  Here are a few before pictures.  They don't really highlight the the dead plants/leaves, slime and general grime.













I don't really know what the "right" way to fix up a terrarium, or if most people do it regularly.  I just open them up and either trim things back, or completely take them out.  Some plants some out for good and others go back in after being divided or trimmed back.



Here are a few after shots.  A couple of my terrariums look a little stark, but I know from experience that they really fill in quickly and will be jungle like again in a few weeks.











Once everything was cleaned up and the shelf wiped down all of them went back up.  The two new ones definitely take up more space.  I had to leave room for the cat food and water bowls.  This is the perfect place that is low enough for our 18 year old cat to jump up to and high enough that the two dogs won't eat it all.  We may move them around some more, but they don't look quite as crowded straight on as they do from his angle.

Not a very big "gardening job", but an air conditioned one.  On another note, we did end up buying both the clock and shelf brackets at another store.  Both on sale.


Comments

  1. Your collection of terrariums are nice. They look so cheerful sitting there in the window. I can imagine your cat up there investigating the new jars. I used to have one that looked like the tall one. I am death on glass. I broke it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the whole reason we started them. It's hard to eat plants that are in jars.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Rebecca, that's a great terrarium collection! I haven't made any since college days. Maybe I'll try my hand at one this summer when the weather turns evil and I can't be outside. Thanks for stopping by my corner of Katy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love weird glass containers, so this gives me an excuse to buy them and display lots of them. It's also a great way to cat proof our indoor plants.

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to make one of these! Maybe when I get back to the states in Jly! Thanks for the idea! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy. Once you build them, you need to clean them up a few times a year. Some folks add little decorations (like plastic animals, dinosaur, or crystals.) We go for a simpler look. Can't wait to see what you create!

      Delete
  4. In your neck of the woods, an air conditioned garden task would be delightful at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all about the air conditioning this time of year for sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts