Bill Waldrop of Kennesaw Mountain Daylilies


They Daylily Club I'm a member of has a hybridizer visit the club each fall.  In September I had the opportunity to listen to Bill Waldrop talk about his daylilies and hybridizing. His garden is called Kennesaw Mountain Daylily Garden and is located in Marrietta, Georgia.



Bill is a great speaker and I thoroughly enjoyed his talk.  I love it when hybridizers show the pod and pollen parents with their offspring.  Its so fun to see how genetics play out.  Bill did a little of this, but he also had some great stories about his granddaughter and how his flowers got their names.  Daylilies tend to have great names, and Bill's were no exception.





There was also a plant auction after his talk.  We didn't plan on buying much, but did come out with three plants.  'African Dawn' was a planned purchase.  Its a fun looking dark colors unusual form daylily.  Totally in our wheelhouse.  The other two, 'Blazing Cannons' and 'Lily's Christmas Slippers', were more of an impulse buy.  They are both brightly colored and will look great in the garden.  


Comments

  1. I fell in love with daylilies again on my trip east (DC area) this summer. They do so well in that climate, less so in mine, but I fed the fever by purchasing several by mail order anyway. My fingers are crossed they'll do okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had great luck with mail order plants, including daylilies. I'm sure yours will be great!

      Delete
  2. "Peach Bouquet!" That is the one I want...no wait, maybe "Heavenly Banquet" because I love white daylilies in a vase sitting in my kitchen window...no maybe "Dark Eclipse" because it is so dramatic...How do you decide?
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get them all! Just kidding. We actually have had to implement a series of guidelines to help limit our daylily purchases. That said, we bought three at the meeting and only two fit into that framework.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts